Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm Baa-aa-aa-ck!!

Incredibly, the internet saga that halted my blogging all those months ago had a few more twists and turns and I've been once again without Internet access until a few days ago!!!!

I am gibbering with relief at being back online and can only hope that you haven't totally given up on me. First our internet account ran out and they just simply unplugged us. No warning, no invitation to renew, nothing.

Then we tried three different routers and many days of fiddling and re-configuring and finally the thing worked. Well, not mine, only Sommay was able to connect. There was some sort of virus that sneaked into my computer via a USB and it took days and days to fix, once it was discovered, because my computer guy works at two jobs and has very little time.

Anyway, I won't go on as it's very boring and because there is so much more to tell you that isn't....

The JOB(s).....

My 'visa' job at Pasabandith has been totally undemanding for a bit as they were doing exams and then being graded and finally graduated in a big ceremony in the Provincial Administration Auditorium, which is conveniently only a few steps from my house. Very grand with lots of varnished panelling and furniture, all decorated in day-glo orange and white bunting at the back, red white and blue bunting near the front plus hideous plastic cherry blossom branches. The students were kitted out in black academic robes edged with traditional Lao woven design. The custom here is that everyone gets flowers for graduation and takes endless photos afterwards clutching their certificates and beaming.

But now I am teaching a 'summer' course in English for Office work in the Travel Industry. Only about eight students so I won't make more than pin money, but they're nice kids and it's not too demanding, but it's every evening for an hour and a half', so my days are long.

Soon the regular term will start and I'll teach in the evenings and teach the teachers in the afternoons. Not that we have very many, as most of them quit, pissed off with the Wily Ping because of his highhanded manner with them and the pitiful salaries he pays. They get 45 bucks a month!!!!!

And I have also got a contract job to teach a group of government employees how to report verbally and in writing to an aid group who are looking at setting up an agricultural improvement project. Again, not a lot of money but a worthwhile endeavour.

Then I'm going to set up some intensive seminars for the company that runs the airport--snack bar people, Xray screening, passenger services, to bring them up to a better standard of English and tourist interaction.
That will pay well.

But my big job, as education administrator for the newest Aman resort in the chain-to be called Amantaka, is fairly full-on just now. Two weeks ago I interviewed 700 job applicants in five days. I was screening for English levels and then sending them off to the various department heads. It was mammoth.

I also had to find translators and helpers for this enterprise and it was hot and sticky and utterly exhausting. One night I came home and fell asleep, completely missing my evening class.

Then this past week we did the Second Interview for which we called back about 300 people, and then had a two day Management Training Seminar, which entailed listening to hours of motivational gobbledygook and doing daft things in teams to develop team spirit and define our values. Or something. But I survived. And yes, we developed lots of rapport and bonded and all that.

Then last night we had a gala night out for just the ten of us with beautiful Lao food and music and dancing and a Baci ceremony to celebrate our bondedness. Afterwards a few of us went out and had a lot of fun getting roaring drunk. So now we're all well-bonded and rather hungover.

So, work-wise, I am very busy and in much demand. In about two weeks I'll start teaching the Amantaka employees and I'll learn the real meaning of the word 'work'.

Right now I am going to re-define the meaning of sleep, as I've been gardening all day and am utterly pooped. So tired in fact that I had to turn down an invitation to eat with Sommay's family tonight. They ran over a snake on the way back from the Pak Ou boat-racing festival (Sommay's brother Bounlay captained the winning team!!!) and were having a feast of snake soup. Cheers!

No comments: